Japhet Koome sworn in as new Inspector General of Police

[Japhet Koome [Photo: K24]

Japhet Koome has taken the oath of office as the Inspector General of Police (IG) in a ceremony presided over by Chief Justice Martha Koome at the Supreme Court.

This is after he was approved by the National Assembly on Thursday.

He was vetted for the position on Tuesday by a joint committee of the Senate and National Assembly, with the members of Parliament unanimously approving his nomination.

In his speech today, Koome thanked President William Ruto for finding him fit to serve the country and promised to deliver on his mandate.

He also said that 98 percent of the country’s police officers are professionals, saying the service is being assisted by the Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA) to manage the remaining 2 percent.

He noted that IPOA provides civilian oversight over the work of the National Police Service by conducting independent and impartial investigations, inspections, audits and monitoring of the police.

“We are being assisted by IPOA and other oversight bodies to manage the 2%. Wale wakora wako huko nje wanaoumiza Wakenya na visu na bunduki, I will not allow that,” said Koome.

Separately, he denied having blood relations with the Chief Justice Martha Koome, after some Kenyans on social media raised questions over his eligibility for the IG position saying they might be related.

“Last night on social media, there was a discourse going on that Koome will be sworn-in by Koome. I have no blood relation with the Chief Justice; it’s just that she is married to a Koome and my last name is Koome.”

President William Ruto nominated IG Koome on 29th of September 2022, to succeed outgoing police IG Hillary Mutyambai, after he opted out of the service due to health concerns ahead of the expiration of his term in office.

Prior to his nomination, Koome served as the Commandant of the National Police Service College – Kiganjo. 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.