Feb, 2nd 2021 – Former Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko has been charged with 12 counts, among them assault, robbery with violence, and destruction of property.
There was heavy security presence at the Kiambu Law Courts where former Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko, was to be arraigned with incitement among other charges.
This comes after recording a statement at the Directorate of Criminal investigation yesterday and spending the night in police cells. Sonko was summoned by the Directorate of Criminal Investigations, to record a statement, after Interior Principal Secretary Karanja Kibicho complained he had been wrongly accused as the planner and executor of the said chaos, over claims he and government officials planned and executed chaos in the 2017 polls.
Detective are now seeking more time to hold for him for further investigations over the claims. One of the incidences allegedly took place at a Kindergarten in Buruburu estate in Nairobi in 2019.
On Monday, detectives questioned Sonko on the allegations of which he refused to record his statement saying he was silenced by a court.
His lawyers John Khaminwa, Assa Nyakundi, Evans Ondieki and George Kithi had tried to release him on bail but the efforts were unsuccessful. Sonko through his lawyer has urged the court to stop the orders to question him but Justice Makau declined to issue the orders and instead sloted the hearing for 28th February.
Sonko has therefore been charged with a serious offence and if found guilty, he shall be sentenced. The court heard that there is a high probability that Sonko will interfere and intimidate key witnesses if released on bail. The court also heard that Sonko has a lot of influence in Nairobi County which could lead to possibility of interference with the ongoing investigations.
“Sonko is said to be a flight risk and has no respect for the law going by his past where he has absconded court attendance after having being released on bond,” the court was told.