F1 yet to resolve the Abu Dhabi debacle

Formula 1’s governing body failed to make any proposals following its inquiry into the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix at a high-level meeting on Monday.

Instead, the F1 Commission of teams, F1 and the FIA was told that analysis into the controversial events at last year’s title-deciding race was still ongoing.

The meeting was told that there may be an announcement on changes to race management later this week. However, there was agreement for F1 to hold three ‘sprint’ events this season.

At the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, Max Verstappen beat Lewis Hamilton to clinch his first Formula 1 title, having overtaken the Briton on the final lap. Mercedes driver Hamilton had appeared in control of the race and on course for the title himself until a late safety car.

Hamilton broke his social media silence two weeks ago to declare that he was ‘back‘, but Mercedes have now gone one further to all but declare the Brit will return in their colours for the opening race of the season in Bahrain on March 20.

The 37-year-old Briton was said to be crestfallen at losing the 2021 title in heart-breaking fashion to Max Verstappen last November, but after some time away he appears to have made the decision to fight again for an eighth world title.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.