Sonko denies accusations against him

Impeached Governor Mike Mbuvi Sonko [photo: Cyprian is Nyakundi]

Dec, 17th 2020 – Impeached Governor Mike Mbuvi Sonko has denied accusations by the Nairobi County Assembly. Appearing before the Senate, the Nairobi governor said his impeachment by the Nairobi County Assembly was a deliberate harassment executed against him.

He said, “What is masked as an impeachment process, is a witch-hunt, because His Excellency the Governor has insisted at being a stickler to the law, just as he has appeared before you. They received the preliminary objection, they know they never filed any evidence, they filed nothing before the Assembly and nothing was filed before you (the Senate) on December 4.”

He also said that his impeachment was illegal as the matter is still pending in the High Court. His lawyer Harrison Kinyajui, argued that the MCAs failed to adhere to the law in the motion debate that claimed to have impeached his client.

Through his lawyer, Sonko accused the Assembly of allowing to be incited by external forces whose aim according to him is to derail development in the country.

He was accompanied to the Senate Special Sitting by 57 MCAs who claimed that the assembly staff illegally cast votes on their behalf. Sonko faulted the County Assembly for failing to adhere to its own rules after it went on to consider the impeachment in violation of a court order.

88 of 122 Nairobi county assembly members voted to impeach Sonko on accusations of  abuse of office among other allegations. Earlier this month, the motion to impeach him at the county assembly was moved by Minority leader Michael Ogada and the assembly found him guilty of failing to approve a sh37.4 billion budget to facilitate operations undertaken by the Nairobi Metropolitan Services (NMS)

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *