France Church attack: [photo: The Washington Post]
Oct, 30th 2020 – Three people have died in a church, Notre Dame basilica in the City of Nice, in France after being stabbed. The man who stabbed the two women and one man is believed to have arrived from Tunisia days before the incident, officials say. One of the victims of the Thursday’s attack was virtually beheaded.
The 21 year old suspect had an Italian Red Cross document that was issued to him by a migrant boat to Italy’s Lampedusa Island las month upon his arrival.
President Emmanuel Macron believes the attack was an Islamic terrorist attack. He said that a number of soldiers have been deployed to protect public places including churches and schools. France has raised its national security alert to highest level as the Anti-terror prosecutors have opened an investigation.
The suspect in the attack was heard repeatedly shouting, Allahu Akbar meaning God is greatest, before being shot by the police. he is currently in critical condition.
In his bag, French chief anti-terrorist prosector Jean-Francois Ricard said that he found a Koran, 30cm knife and two telephones. He added, “We also found a bag left by the attacker. Next to this bag were two knives that were not used in the attack.”
Mr. Macron said, “If we are attacked once again it is for the values which are ours: freedom, for the possibility on our soil to believe freely and not to give in to any spirit of terror. I say it with great clarity once again today: we won’t surrender anything.“
The attack echoes another attack that happened earlier in the month where a teacher, Samuel Paty, from a school North west of Paris was beheaded after showing controversial cartoons of Prophet Muhammad to his pupils.
Police sources have named the stabbing suspect as Brahim Aouissaoui.