New COVID protocols set to take effect as of today

President Uhuru Kenyatta [Photo Citizen]


Sept 29th, 2020 – Churches and all other places of worship will now be allowed to have a third of the capacity of the before-COVID attendance, in the new COVID-19 containment measures.

Making the announcement at a National COVID-19 Conference, held at the Kenyatta International Conference Centre (KICC), in Nairobi on Monday, President Uhuru Kenyatta, said the country has made great gains in the fight against the virus, thus the reason for easing up the measures.

The much-anticipated reopening of schools will take a little longer after the President asked the stakeholders to assure the safety of the learners before announcing the resumption of the institutions.

He however cautioned politicians against flouting the rules set by the ministry of health in order to avoid a second wave that will wipe out the gains achieved.  ” If we experience a rise in the infections, then we politicians should first look at ourselves before looking at other Kenyans,” Uhuru said. 

In the new measures that take effect today, two hundred people will be allowed to attend funerals and weddings up from 100 persons. Bars and restaurants will now close at 10 pm.

The Head of State, however, said, the nationwide curfew has been extended for 60 more days but the hours have been reduced and will now start from 11:00 pm to 4:00 am. Initially, the night to morning curfew was from 9:00 pm to 4:00 am.

The nationwide curfew enforced throughout the territory of the Republic of Kenya is extended for a further 60 days,” said the President.

The new measurements, come at a time when most Kenyans were anticipating a positive change on the new guidelines, that would see the economy open up. However, President Uhuru cautioned the citizens against lowering their guard.

As I give these directives, I underscore the need to continue adhering to the health guidelines and protocols to avoid losing the gains that we have made so far.  To also say again that I will not hesitate to escalate these measures if the cases rise again,” Kenyatta warned.

The government said, the new containment protocols, were only issued, as the country, continued to register low numbers of COVID-19 infections.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *