Naomi Osaka [Photo: Citizen TV]
September 18th 2020 – US Open champion Naomi Osaka has withdrawn from the French Open, due to hamstring injury. This comes as another serious blow to the tournament after world number one Ash Barty of Australia said she would not be defending her title due to COVID-19 concerns.
The 21 Japan, claimed her third grand slam title in New York last week, is struggling with the injury.
“Unfortunately, I won’t be able to play the French Open this year,” the world No. 3 wrote on social media in a message she also posted in Japanese.
“My hamstring is still sore so I won’t have time to prepare for the clay – these two tournaments came too close to each other for me this time. I wish the organizers and players all the best.”
The world number three, who won the Australian Open in 2019, has never gone beyond the third round at Roland Garros.
The French Open will be held from Sept. 27-Oct. 11 after being moved from its usual late May-June slot due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
However, the French Tennis Federation (FFT) has said, only 5,000 spectators will be allowed per day following the recent spike in Covid-19 infections in the country.
The Federation had previously said the it would permit a maximum of 11,500 fans per day.